10 Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog

As loving pet parents, we always want the best for our pets. Providing them with a balanced and nutritious diet is essential for their well-being and growth. However, some human foods can be harmful or even toxic to dogs. To help you keep your canine friend safe and healthy, we've compiled a list of 10 foods you should never feed your dog.

  1. Chocolate

Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which are harmful to dogs. Even the smallest amounts can lead to symptoms like diarrhoea, vomiting, and in more severe cases, it can be fatal.

  1. Grapes & Raisins

Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. Even a small quantity can be dangerous, leading to symptoms like lethargy, vomiting, and increased thirst.

  1. Onions & Garlic

Onions and garlic can damage a dog's red blood cells, causing anemia. It's best to avoid feeding any food containing these ingredients.

  1. Xylitol

Xylitol is a sugar substitute usually found in sugar-free gum, candies, and baked goods. Ingesting xylitol can lead to a sudden release of insulin in dogs, resulting in hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which can be life-threatening.

  1. Avocado:

Avocado contains persin, a substance that can cause stomach upset in dogs. The pit can also present a choking hazard, and the skin may be a choking or intestinal blockage risk.

  1. Alcohol

Alcohol is toxic to dogs and can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, coordination issues, and even central nervous system depression.

  1. Bones

Cooked bones can splinter and cause serious injuries to a dog's digestive system. Avoid giving any cooked bones, especially those from chicken or fish.

  1. Dairy Products

Most dogs are lactose intolerant, and consuming dairy products can result in digestive issues like diarrhea and upset stomachs.

  1. Nuts

Macadamia nuts, in particular, are toxic to dogs and can cause symptoms like weakness, vomiting, and tremors.

  1. Caffeinated Drinks

Caffeine can be toxic to dogs, leading to symptoms such as rapid breathing, heart palpitations, and restlessness.

As responsible dog owners, it is crucial to understand the foods that can be harmful to our beloved pets. By keeping these hazardous foods out of reach and sticking to a balanced and veterinarian-approved diet, we can ensure our furry friends live a happy and healthy life. Always remember, if you suspect your dog has ingested any of these toxic foods or shows unusual symptoms, seek  veterinary care immediately. Our pets rely on us to protect them, and knowledge about harmful foods is an essential part of responsible pet ownership.

Back to blog